The Mission of Ali per Giocare
The association, pursuing aims of social solidarity in the fields of education, animation, social assistance, training, protection of rights and promotion of culture in general and culture of the playing in particular, has the following aims: to represent the requests and projects of those who work on the territory with recreational, educational and socio-cultural projects based on the affirmation of the right to play and active citizenship, through the action of equipped vehicles (Ludobus) and the activity in permanent structures (Ludoteche) and offer members suitable and efficient services.
For the realization of the above mentioned purposes, the association assumes the following tasks:
- the coordination and confrontation of the various experiences and methodologies related to the themes of recreational and socio-cultural pedagogy that take place in Italy;
- the activity of research, consulting and development of methodologies for playing, either for the mobile and fixed structures, and of the recreational andof learning processes related to the social and natural environment;
- the promotion of a collective and shared project action on the thematic areas of rights, play, animation, socio-cultural pedagogy and communication in general, in Italian, European and international contexts;
- the active collaboration with public and private organizations, educational institutions, associations, social cooperatives, private companies, informal groups and all those interested and committed in the areas of socio-cultural intervention;
- the promotion of the exchange of information and the commitment to the expansion and strengthening of the movement of the Ludobus and the Ludoteche and, in general, for the creation of a Play Network in Italy, also through the participation of its representatives in associations, events and conferences of national and international character that have playing and its cultural dimension as a central topic;
- the organization and coordination of meetings, conventions and events, national and international, involving the Ludobus and the Ludoteche of more regions or territories, and the coordination of the participation of Italian Ludobuses and representatives of the Ludoteche in international events, organized by other institutions and partners;
- the professional training of those who operate or intend to operate through the Ludobus and the Ludoteche;
- the production, collection and divulgation of the documentation related to the experience of the Ludobus and the Ludoteche in Italy and abroad through training courses and any means of communication such as books, periodical publications, videos and other multimedia supports and whatever else may be useful for this purpose;
- the representation of the Italian Ludobus and Ludoteche movement at national and international level;
The importance of play is recognized in the social, emotional and cognitive development of the child and, more generally, in the formation of the individual.
The Ludobus and the Ludoteche are a service of public interest that are part of the actions that promote the right to play of all citizens, with particular regard to childhood and adolescence.
Rights of children and teenagers
- promote through the activities of Ludobus and Ludoteca the knowledge and implementation of the International Conventions on Human Rights, with particular reference to the Convention on the Rights of the Child and Adolescence drawn up in New York on November 20, 1989, ratified by Italy with Law no. 176 of May 27, 1991;
- can implement for this purpose, awareness raising activities such as meetings, conferences, events, publications promoting, encouraging and supporting initiatives aimed at creating the most favorable conditions for the practical application of the right to play;
- they enhance the creative and the reality judgemental capacity that children know how to express;
- promote forms of children participation to let them practice the right of citizenship.
1 - THE TOY LIBRARY
The toy library is a service of public interest that is configured as a place intentionally dedicated to the game, as a fundamental value of culture, education and human experience. It offers to users of all ages, and in particular to children, the opportunity to engage freely in recreational activities, to find playmates, and to take advantage of the expertise of specialized staff.
The toy library is structured in specifically equipped rooms and is supplied with a wide variety of games, toys and materials. In addition to a physical space, it is also the ideal space of freedom, imagination, fantasy and creativity.
The toy library is a place of recreation, socialization, integration, education. Through playing and animation promotes the welfare and comfort of the individual. By placing playing and games at the center of all projects and actions undertaken, the toy library contributes to the training and education of the individual, the development of autonomy and responsibility, educates to respect the rules, to social interaction, to the meeting with others.
The toy library is part of the network of socio-cultural and educational services of the territory of reference.
The toy library provides families with support to parenting by promoting opportunities to spend shared time playing with their children, to observe their children in a collective context outside the family, to meet other parents, while respecting the different educational choices of each family.
In the toy library there are areas and materials that allow the practice of symbolic play and imitation, movement play, construction games and board games. Areas and equipment for video games and reading can be provided. Creative and/or expressive workshops and toy-making workshops can be organized.
The toy library can activate the loan of games and toys.
The toy library does not offer custody services for minors.
2 - THE TOY LIBRARIAN
Profile of the toy librarian
- Age not inferior to 18 years.
- Possession of a secondary school diploma. Preferential qualifications include a diploma or degree in Educational Sciences and psycho-pedagogy, documented professional experience in the recreational-educational-cultural sector and attendance of training and updating courses, seminars and specialization courses on animation and play, organized by qualified and recognized organizations, institutions and associations.
- Absence of pending charges and/or convictions for crimes including child abuse, molestation or violence.
- Know how to play with and without play materials.
- Have the ability to suggest games and explain rules.
- Have a good knowledge of the play culture.
- Know the principles of cataloguing and classification of games.
- Have a general knowledge of the different networks of production, edition and distribution of games and the authors of the games.
- Know how to plan activities.
- Have basic knowledge of pedagogy and developmental psychology.
- Know how to manage group dynamics and interpersonal relationships.
Attitudes of the toy librarian
- Knowing how to get involved
- Have the ability to listen to users and be attentive to proposals and suggestions
- Have the predisposition to work in teams
Role of the toy librarian
- Favour and promote the free choice of games, materials and playmates
- Respect playing and non-playing
- Knowing the games, presenting them, transmitting the rules and adapting them to the different users and situations
- To be a guarantor of the rules of the game, the rules of the place and the respect between players
- Enhance the playful heritage with a varied range of games and toys, belonging to different periods and cultures
- Favour the active participation of users
- Promote sustainable attitudes and behaviors from an environmental, cultural and social point of view
- Be careful to maintain the neutrality of the toy library from a political, religious and cultural point of view
- Preserve playing and toys from pedagogical, therapeutic, commercial and ideological instrumentalization
- Empower the players in the use of the game and the location
- Be helpful and have a welcoming attitude
- Promote the relationship between parents and children through the practice of play
- Respect privacy
3 - ORGANIZATION OF THE TOY LIBRARY
Management of the toy library
- The managing organization of the toy library has the task of:
- Establish the general project of the toy library service
- Provide enough staff for the project and the activities
- Define the roles, tasks and responsibilities of each member of the team
- Promote the ongoing training of the team
- Hold regular meetings to review and plan activities
- Evaluate the possibility of including volunteers and trainees in the work team
Typologies of games, activities and services offered
The toy library offers multiple types of games including:
- Imitation/symbolic games
- Construction games
- Wit games
- Rules games
- Movement games
- Video games
In the toy library you can also find different types of activities and services:
- Manual, creative, expressive and construction workshops
- Lending of games and toys
- Organization of meetings, events, conventions, exhibitions and seminars on play and games
Ideation and organization of thematic animations
- Organization of games outdoors and in other structures/contexts
- Documentation, information, advice about playing and toys
- Training on games, toys and play activities
- Organization of citizenship participation initiatives
- Adequate premises intended for exclusive use
- Rooms accessible to all, without architectural barriers, complying with safety and hygiene standards
- Areas, furniture and equipment organized according to the age of the users, the types of activities and services offered
The Playroom is also provided, where possible, with an outdoor play area.
Toys and games, materials, equipment
Toys and games, materials and play equipment must be:
- Varied and in sufficient quantity according to the project, the activities and the users
- Compliant with safety standards or handcrafted to a "workmanlike" standard
- Chosen according to quality criteria
- In good condition, complete with all parts and clean
- Catalogued and classified
The toy library must:
- Have an internal regulation
- Schedule regular and continuous opening days and hours, in relation to the project and the territorial reality
- Provide for the registration (membership) of users, with related insurance coverage
- Constantly monitor memberships, presences in the toy library, activities and loan service, where activated.
Toy library and territory
The toy library must work to:
- Bring "the game everywhere" and, in particular, in the territory of closest competence; to this end, when this is operationally possible, the game library works in close synergy with the ludobus, agreeing on ways and opportunities for mutual promotion, to share strategies of intervention, for the exchange and distribution of useful information to achieve their respective purposes
- Develop partnerships with other territorial, national and international realities, promoting common projects and/or participating in coordinated activities
- Promote the development of a national network of toy libraries to promote exchanges and organize shared initiatives
The toy library must have:
- A specific name, along with a logo, to allow immediate identification
- Appropriate signposts to identify the location
- A bulletin board to display the rules and information and communications related to the various activities
- Computer equipment and appropriate means of communication (telephone, fax, internet...)
The toy library must guarantee proper information/communication about its activities and provide for their documentation through the systematic collection of printed, photographic and digital material.